Skip to main content
Travel insurance

Overseas travel is exciting, but things may go wrong, and travellers could find themselves faced with a medical emergency, finding the funds to replace lost luggage, or having to make an urgent trip home.


Travel insurance is cover you purchase for international trips, whether they're for business or holidays. Most travel insurance provides protection for

  • cancellation and loss of deposit
  • medical treatment costs
  • costs for returning home in certain emergencies
  • loss of luggage and personal items
  • personal liability (except for deliberate acts or use of motor vehicles).


Shop around

Remember that not all travel policies are created equal – just as the premium of some policies costs more than others, some policies have wider cover than others.

If you have a pre-existing condition, are planning to engage in a sport while on your trip, are a non-resident, are pregnant, or are over the age of 65, it's important to contact a number of insurers before purchasing your insurance. One insurer may have a policy that suits your individual circumstances better than another.

Find out more about travel insurance to cover

Buy before you fly

You cannot get travel insurance if you've already left the country. Buy travel insurance when you book and pay for your overseas trip. That way you're not only covered for your trip, but also if you need to cancel the trip before you depart.

Declare your medical conditions

Declare any pre-existing medical conditions and any symptoms that could lead to a medical condition — not only for yourself but also for close relatives back home.

Download our consumer guide

Feeling adventurous?

If you're planning on undertaking any sporting or adventurous activities on your trip, talk to your insurer and read your policy wording to check whether you are covered while undertaking them. In particular, you should check whether you are covered while

  • skiing, snowboarding or doing other winter sports
  • scuba diving
  • bungy jumping
  • hang gliding
  • water skiing
  • motorcycling or using a scooter (in certain countries).

Driving overseas

Travel insurance policies provide very limited cover for vehicles hired overseas. If you have an accident, the cover provided by your travel policy will usually only pay either the excess or any vehicle repair costs, should those costs be less than the excess charged by the rental car company. To ensure that you have sufficient cover, you should buy comprehensive motor insurance from the rental car company in the country you hire the car in.

High-value items

Advise your insurer if you are going to take or buy high-value items on your trip. Many travel insurance policies contain sublimits on the value of items you can claim for (including electronics and jewellery).

If you're unsure, ask your insurer what value or coverage limits your policy may have.

Read your policy wording

Your travel insurance policy is a contract and is only as valuable as the cover provided in the benefits and exclusions described in that contract.

Common exclusions from travel insurance policies include

  • loss of personal items which are left unattended
  • insolvency of a service provider such as an airline
  • acts of terrorism.


Travel insurers provide free 24-hour emergency assistance. Keep the details of their emergency assistance provider with you at all times while travelling.

In the event of an emergency, you may need to contact them for medical treatment or advice.

Stay safe

New Zealand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade runs a website that has up to date travel advisories for all countries on key issues like security and health. 

Before you travel, you must tell your insurer if you intend to travel to any countries that have a "do not travel" travel advisory status.

Visit to check your intended destination and any countries you're stopping in or passing through.

Common queries

Some circumstances may make travel insurance more difficult to find or mean you need to fulfil additional requirements in order to receive cover.


Most travel insurance providers in New Zealand don't provide liability cover for damage to property you're staying at while travelling. Your the Airbnb host should sufficient insurance cover to allow them to have paying guests stay in their property but it's still important to understand what you're covered for if anything goes wrong and you're held liable.


Not all insurers provide cover for non-residents of New Zealand so you may need to contact a number of insurers before you are able to get cover. 


If you're pregnant when you book travel insurance, it's important to talk to your insurer about it before they issue a policy. Most insurers offer cover for the first few months of pregnancy as long as there have not been any complications. The length of time each insurer will provide automatic cover for varies so talk to your insurer to be certain you'll be covered for your trip. An insurer may also require you to have a medical assessment before providing cover.

If you become pregnant after taking out a travel insurance policy, contact your insurer as soon as possible to ensure you'll still be covered for your travel.

Pre-existing conditions

Pre-existing conditions are medical conditions you already have or have previously had at the time you're buying your insurance. It may include anything you've sought medical treatment or consulted a doctor for, even if you didn't receive a formal diagnosis.

Pre-existing conditions are excluded from most insurers’ basic packages. Some insurers have automatic cover for certain pre-existing conditions and others may allow you to buy additional cover for pre-existing conditions, although not all insurers will be able to provide this service.

If you have a pre-existing condition, you should check your chosen insurer’s list of covered pre-existing conditions for each policy they offer to see if you can be covered and what exclusions or sublimits may apply. If your condition is not listed, you will need to speak to the insurer to find out if you can get cover. They may require you to get a medical certificate before providing cover.

It's important to remember to declare all pre-existing conditions when taking out travel insurance otherwise you may not be covered under all or part of your policy.

Rental cars

Most travel policies taken out in NZ do not provide liability cover for damage done overseas. This includes damage done to people or property while in control of a rented or borrowed car.

Some policies will provide rental vehicle excess (RVE) insurance but this will only provide cover for the excess on damage to the vehicle that the insured person has to pay — it does not provide any cover for the repairs themselves or any personal liability the insured person has if an accident damages property or injures someone. If a travel policy offers RVE, the cover may only apply to renting cars through a registered care hire company.

If you'll be driving overseas, it's important to get appropriate car insurance and personal liability cover through either a car rental company or through a local insurer (if you are borrowing a friend or relative’s car).


The level and types of cover available for senior citizens varies by insurer and may be affected by the age(s) of the traveller(s). In some instances, you may be required to fill out some forms to give the insurer information about your medical history.

To ensure that you will be covered and to find a policy that best meets your needs, you should contact an insurer directly.

Sports and adventure activities

Some insurers have a list of sports and activities they will automatically provide cover for, however, there are also a number they won’t cover. If you are unsure whether your intended sport or activity will be covered, you should contact your insurer to check.

If you are planning on doing any sort of sport or adventure activity while you are travelling, make sure to let your insurer know when you take out cover.

Find an insurer

ICNZ is unable to provide personal or professional advice. The list of travel insurance providers below is included for your information. Any queries about the specifics of policies or cover should be directed to the insurer.

Other travel insurance may be available through your bank or credit card provider, as well as by contacting an insurance broker.

1-Cover Direct Insurance

0800 000 333

+64 9 886 2453

AA Travel Insurance 0800 500 444
Air New Zealand 0800 500 248
Air Vanuatu  
AMI 0800 500 425
Amex Travel Insurance 0800 743 699

0800 161 810
ANZ 0800 269 855
Carnival   0800 600 125
Chubb Travel Insurance 0800 422 346
Cigna 0800 900 047
Comprehensive Travel Insurance 0800 800 048
Cover-More 0800 500 225
Easy Way Travel Insurance +64 9 377 4146
Fiji Airways


Flight Centre 0800 500 225
FMG 0800 366 466
Holiday Rescue  
Kiwi Holiday Insurance 0800 101 007
Malaysia Airlines   0800 268 371
nib Travel Insurance New Zealand 0800 888 642
NZ Travel Insurance

P&O   0800 550 125
STA Travel

State 0800 500 325
Tower Travel Insurance 0800 379 372
Travel Insurance Direct NZ

0800 843 843
Trip Cover - car rental excess insurance only 0800 630 117
Virgin 0800 500 925
Westpac 0800 550 325
Worldcare Travel Insurance 0800 553 550
World Nomads 0800 666 237

Learn more

You can download the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade's travel insurance guide from their Safe Travel website.

Visit the Safe Travel website